Tuesday 13 February 2007

Bits and Bobs

I went to the Launderette yesterday, and in the interests of fairness, I have to admit that everything worked perfectly, and everything was clean (Yay!)
However, as I was taking stuff out of the washing machine, I was asked "Is that one all right?" by a lady who was waiting to use a machine that she had seen working.

The snow has now gone completely, but before it went, I saw a firecrest on the riverside path. Islay had ambled off up the side, so I stopped to wait for her, and spotted what I thought was a wren in the undergrowth. Then I noticed it didn't have the little sticky-up tail that a wren has, and then it turned round and I saw the vivid orange stripe on its head.
The last time I saw a firecrest was in similarly cold and bleak circumstances at Pwll-y-Wrach, near Talgarth, at the waterfall.

And speaking of Talgarth, it is surrounded by road works at the moment. I went into Brecon this morning on the bus, and there is the Bronllys and Talgarth bypass, which is at the stage where they are connecting it to the existing roads by means of roundabouts, so there are traffic cones everywhere and temporary ramps, and temporary traffic lights. Then the cycle path from Talgarth is being extended to Three Cocks (which is a good thing for cyclists), and as well as that, the road just outside the Talgarth Beast Market is being widened and fiddled about with, which means more temporary traffic lights. This was combined today with the busiest Beast Market I've ever seen in Talgarth, with cars and pickup trucks and trailers for transporting sheep parked everywhere - and the roads in Talgarth are narrow at the best of times.

No comments: