Friday 25 January 2008

Red Recycling Bags

I came to the end of a roll of red recycling bags a few weeks ago. We have a very good system in Powys, where rubbish is picked up every week, sorted into three bags. A black sack takes the rubbish, a clear bag with black writing on it takes the paper and textiles for recycling and a clear bag with red writing on it takes the cans and plastics.
So I asked for a new roll of red sacks, on the sticky form provided to stick on the sacks when you put them out.
I got a new roll of clear sacks with black writing.
So the following week I asked again. This time I underlined the word 'red' and added a note to say I had plenty of black sacks, thank you.
I got a roll of clear sacks with black writing.
So I asked again, with 'RED!!' and 'for the third time!' written on the form.
This time I didn't get anything.
So I asked again, this time on scrap paper with marker pen, because they hadn't left another sticky form for me. I was polite, and gave them the benefit of the doubt over the lack of bags the previous week - maybe someone else had picked them up - and again, nothing was left for me.
I was getting really annoyed now, and I happened to be in Hay for the day, so I went round the streets to see if I could catch up with the recycling van. Failing in this, I headed for the Council Offices (thank goodness they're still in Hay - otherwise I would have had to go all the way to Brecon to sort it out).
The lady behind the counter was very apologetic, and said; "I'm afraid there isn't a red bag left in Powys!"
I laughed. "Thank goodness for that!" I said. "I was beginning to think the bin men had a vendetta against me or something."
She explained that the manufacturers of the bags had let them down, and there wouldn't be any new ones for another three or four weeks.
I said it would be nice if they could tell people, or they'd be having more complaints - and the bin men would be blamed when it isn't their fault. They could get a piece printed in the Brecon and Radnor, for instance, "or leaflets, maybe," she said.

No comments: