Monday 10 March 2008

Return of the red bags

Last Thursday the bin men left a 12 month supply of black bin bags at every house, as they went round. That's 52 bags in a roll.
When I went to the kitchen cupboard to put it in, I found last year's roll, still unopened. And the year before that. I hadn't realised it, but I'm still using the bags from four years ago. On average, I use about one black bag a month, and even then it isn't usually full.
So, with nightmare visions of the cupboard filling up with black bags that I would never, ever use, I decided to take them back to the Council, along with an extra roll of clear bags with black writing that I'd been given when I asked for red bags (and they'd run out).
They're busy refurbishing the Council offices, but there is a reception desk where the Housing office counter used to be, and the lady there was delighted I'd come back with them - there are always people calling in because they've run out, or because the bin men missed them out for some reason.
They also had a basket full of recycling bags - including the red ones, so I went away happy, with exactly what I needed, and my kitchen cupboard is a bit emptier, too.

I wouldn't have done that if the local Council offices had closed and I'd had to go into Brecon on the bus.

3 comments:

Joy said...

That's really good! I wish we had the same service here in Norwich. Often times, the bin men will leave the bin bag somewhere it gets wet or dirty. And this puts us off using it. So we end up buying our own supply.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and for leaving your comments. Do visit again!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
I, Woman

Phyllis Hunt McGowan said...

Not only is it good that they dish out bin bags but very decent of you to bring them back to the Council. I like to read pieces like this. They remind me that there are thoughtful people out there. You didn't have to do that at all. That's an excellent environmentally-friendly tale :)

Eigon said...

Thank you, The Elementary - that's very sweet of you.