Friday 2 May 2008

Well done, Gareth!

We were voting for our new county councillor yesterday. It was a nice, simple choice between James Gibson-Watt, the Lib Dem who has been doing the job for eight years, and new contender Gareth Radcliffe, for the Welsh Conservatives. Just this once, I changed the habits of a lifetime, and voted for Gareth.
I've seen him in action as Mayor of Hay, and I was impressed at how well he kept the Council on topic when there are several councillors who tend to go off at tangents. He also, of course, managed to keep the Council Chambers for Hay when the County Council wanted to close them down, so we know he'll fight Hay's corner.
Not that James Gibson-Watt hasn't done a good job, of course - but I thought Gareth deserved a chance to have a go.
The news of the results broke with a simple sign on the chip shop door - "Gareth has won".
I'm very pleased for him, and I'm sure he'll do his best for Hay.

No comments: