Tuesday 7 October 2008

Street Lights

I'd noticed a couple of stories in the B&R about how Powys Council are shutting off some of the street lighting across the County to save money, but I hadn't really paid much attention. Some residents of an estate in Brecon (I think) had complained that they didn't feel safe at night, but that didn't seem very relevant to Hay.
Until the other night, that is, when I took Islay out for a late night walk. I'd been taking her out at around dusk, but that night it was nearly ten o'clock by the time we set off.
That was when I realised that the street light opposite my house wasn't on (great powers of observation, me!). However, it was light enough to navigate down Broad Street, and really, the Powers that Be seem to have got it broadly right - the places that need to be lit are lit, and only some side alleys are completely dark.
As I came by the Library, I looked up and saw the Plough. Before, when I've wanted to go out and look at the stars, I've gone out to Nantyglasdwr, with the fields around me (but just enough light for me to study the Ladybird book of the Night Sky from the few houses along there). Now I can just go outside and look up.

No comments: