Tuesday 21 September 2010

Crossing the Road with Islay

Islay is not a fast dog any more. Any attempt to cross Broad Street (and we do it most days so she can get her biscuit at Broad Street Book Centre) has to be planned like a military operation, with me making sure the road is clear and then acting like a lollipop lady to see her across.
So, this lunch time there was a van on the double yellow lines on the opposite side of the road to us, and a car behind that. We were about half way across the road when the van moved forward slightly. No problem - we were aiming for the gap between it and the car anyway. So I got to the kerb and turned round to encourage Islay that last couple of yards - and that was when the car decided to reverse towards her. I banged on the back window - banged again when they didn't stop right away, and shouted "DOG!" while pointing down behind their car. Islay was oblivious to all this, calmly making her way towards the kerb. When she reached it, I leaned down to shout through the window "Sorry! Dog behind you - okay now!" The back window was open about an inch, so they must have heard me.
Now, if it were me, and a mad woman was banging on the back of my car, I think I might have at least wound down the front window to find out what was going on. I might even have got out of the car to see what was in the road behind me.
This couple just sat there, even after I'd moved away with Islay. After a while, the van driver, who had seen it all, got out of his van and waved them back.
What worries me is that the driver had obviously not seen Islay crossing the road. She'd seen me, because she waited until I got to the kerb before she moved, but it was pretty obvious she hadn't noticed Islay at all - which makes me wonder what else she doesn't notice when she's driving along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Broad Street is impossible to cross at the best of times - you do well is Islay! =0)