Sunday 26 February 2012

If you want to know something - ask a Librarian

There was some talk, last week at the Plan B social, about standing for the local elections, and I started to wonder how easy it is to apply.
Most of the present town council have been there for years, so I asked the newest councillor, Johnny Kramer, how he had become a councillor. He turned out to have been co-opted, so there was never an election - so he didn't know how to apply to be a councillor himself.
Someone at the Plan B social had said that there should be a notice up at the Council Offices, telling anyone who was interested what to do. So I went along on Friday - but I couldn't see any notices that were relevant, and the Town Clerk is only in the office on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so that didn't get me any further on.
The next idea I had was Library Plus - as the official County Council presence in Hay, surely they would have some information. So I spoke to Jayne the Librarian, and she did something clever on her computer, and there was all the information!
So, for anyone who wants to stand as a local councillor, the websites to visit are direct.gov.uk, electoralcommission.org and aboutmyvote.co.uk. There's also one called Be A Councillor, but that seems not to be up and running yet. Apparently, you need to live and/or work in the area, and have been resident for at least a year. Then you must get the nomination form to the local Returning Officer by 4th April - I think it's possible to download the nomination forms (I didn't look) or get them from the County Council.
I don't think I want to stand myself - I'm quite busy already! - but one thing I can do is to start showing up at Council meetings and reporting on what goes on, because this stuff may be boring, but it's also important.

4 comments:

Eigon said...

I have now looked at the nomination form, and the notes are comprehensive, and written in English rather than jargon!

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't have to attend the Town Council meetings to find out what is going on,they should provide minutes of monthly meetings on the Hay Town Council website....however,since Sept 2011,they have stopped issuing them! Now let me think,what has been the main topic of discussion since last September.....?

Anonymous said...

have you got the link to the nomination forms please?

Eigon said...

It's a bit of a long one, but this should get you to the right page:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/guidance/resources-for-those-we-regulate/candidates-and-agents/local-elections-in-england-and-wales