Monday 7 May 2012

A Fun Day Out .... Spoiled


Here we are, setting the medieval camp up at Droitwich Spa for the St Richard's Fair. It was a lovely location, in a little park on the banks of the recently re-opened canal (though the vast Waitrose looming over us across the canal was a bit off-putting!). This was the first chance I'd had to do a bit of re-enactment since last July in Hereford - where I could get the bus there and back on the day. For this one I stayed over with my friends the night before, so I could help with setting up the tents in the early morning.
It was great fun. I had all my weaving and spinning equipment out on display, and people were genuinely interested, and even had a go. Nearby we had the quern stone for grinding flour, and a steady stream of kids to work it, as well as a couple of lovely Indian ladies who explained how it had been done in their childhoods in India. We also had weapons on display, including a fine selection of bows and arrows, and we ate our lunch from a cauldron over the camp fire.
Sadly, I had to leave early, in order to catch a train to Hereford, so that I could be there in plenty of time for the last bus to Hay.
The train journey was no problem at all. I had a lovely chat with a blind lady and her husband who had been to the show, and when they got off the train at Worcester, the guard came out and talked about walking sticks (I had my distaff with me, which is a long hazel stick with a spiral groove around it where honeysuckle grew up it), and how he had seen a Navaho woman demonstrate spinning in Monument Valley!
When I got off the train, there was a bus at the bus stop. "There's no point getting on," the driver said. "It's broken down." He went on to say that he was waiting for someone to come out to him, and the best thing I could do was to wait for the quarter to six bus - which is the last bus of the evening.
That was fine. I bought a magazine, got a pint of Shropshire Lass in Wetherspoons, and was still 20 minutes early at the Bus Station to catch the bus.
Which didn't come.
Five of us waited for an hour after the time it was due.
One lady rang a friend to pick her up, the three chaps went off to the pub - and I got a taxi home.
The taxi cost £48.
I am sending Stagecoach the receipt.
So that was my good mood ruined.

1 comment:

Eigon said...

I've just had a letter from Stagecoach. They're not refunding my taxi fare because they claim the bus ran - they say tickets were issued in Hereford at 18.50. Which is strange, because I'm convinced I was still at the bus station at that point. However, I can't prove that.
They also say "no guarantee can be made that the service will reach the destination or operate at the scheduled time."
Which means that I can't rely on the bus turning up when the timetable says it will - so what's the point of "planning your journey" as they encourage you to do on their website?
I'm going to be very wary of going on day trips beyond Hereford in future, and may have to consider giving up re-enactment.