Wednesday 31 October 2012

Samhain

On Monday, I went round town looking for a pumpkin to carve. I'd already bought two or three to turn into soup and pasta sauce, but by the time I got round to thinking about carving faces to keep me safe from the spirits of the night, there wasn't an orange pumpkin to be had in the whole of Hay. There were some pale green ones at Stuart's the greengrocer, but that's not quite the same. When I was growing up, we used to carve turnips and swedes - but they're quite hard work, and I couldn't see one of a decent size anyway.
So this year I'm falling back on a couple of candle lanterns, a glove puppet bat (she's called Echo) and a garland of flying crows. The crows came from a lady in Glastonbury, via Etsy (the website for selling crafts), Sharyn Archer at Jack-in-the-Green, and they are quite lovely, and very detailed.


Tomorrow, starting at 11am, Phil Rickman will be in Kilvert's, signing his new book about Doctor Dee. I may be forced to take a liquid lunch!

No comments: