Monday 26 November 2012

Food Fair and other Delights

I felt sorry for the French onion man (complete with bicycle), who had almost no shelter on a dismal rainy day. It was better inside the marquee - and it was packed with people. Outside under a shelter, there were male voice choirs, and Brecon Town Band and other entertainment. The Food Fair always shows off the best of local produce - I treated myself to a lemon drizzle cake (made in Rhosgoch) which is packed full of flavour. There were several brewers there - Brecon, Rhymney, Untapped, Jacobi - and Penderyn whisky, Black Mountain liquours, and other strong drink. Volunteers from Talgarth mill were there, selling their wholemeal flour. There was bread, and local beef and mutton, sausages, and meat pies, and honey and chutneys and chillies and chocolates and crisps, spices and cakes. It was all very tempting, and I treated myself to a few things, and got a few Christmas presents too.
There was more outside, along with fast food stalls and coffee sellers, huddling under shelter.
In the Buttermarket there was jewellery and more good things to buy.
Then I went on to the Parish Hall, where the vintage clothes and so forth were on display. I was tempted by the crinoline underskirt - and there was one stall with some gorgeous bodices (all far too small for me to fit into - I couldn't get into the plus fours, either!), though I did find a nice linen smock top, and a belt that I may be using as a swordbelt next year. Another lady was spreading out oriental rugs, and there were tweed suits and hats and blouses and skirts, shoes and children's clothes and old fashioned pharmacy bottles, and Eugene Fisk with some prints - lots of tempting goodies!

I saw some of the stall holders from the Parish Hall the following day, setting up in the marquee for the vintage fayre - I'm told there was a lot more there, too, but I had to pass by before they started and get to work. I did bump into the organisers on the way home, and they seemed very happy with the way the day had gone.

I also met John Evans, of the Chamber of Commerce, who told me that the collection for the Bryngwyn Riding for the Disabled on Friday night had raised around £700!

No comments: