Monday 8 December 2014

Artisans' Fair and Castle Tap

The Buttermarket was taken up with the Artisans' Fair on Saturday, so I stopped by for some last Christmas presents and to say hello to Shelley, who was selling her silk scarves, and Richard, who was selling his prints. Pottery and knitted things and other crafts were also on offer.

And in the evening, it was up to the Castle for the second of the Castle Tap events.
Like last time, I was cheeky and asked if I could have four halves of beer instead of two pints, so I could try a wider variety, and they were happy to oblige. I started off with Castell Coch Ruby Bitter from Celt Experience, which was very pleasant. I found a quiet corner with some benches and a blazing log fire, chatting to the Heywoods from Drovers Holidays while Anna made a fuss of the Castle cat - for a while it seemed as if we were the only ones there, but when we stuck our heads round the corner we realised that everyone else was clustered round the bar. Later, the main room filled up - which is when the cat realised that his castle was filling up with people, and stalked off in disgust!
The second beer I tried was Copper Fox, from Mayfield, which they describe as a session bitter, and then I went for The Creature from Jones the Brewer - definitely the highlight of the evening, with some very complex tastes going on. The chap behind the bar told me that a friend of Jones the Brewer had died unexpectedly only a couple of months ago, and his nickname at university had been The Creature, so the beer was brewed in his memory.
And finally (because my limit these days is two pints) I went for Brecon Brewery's Cwrw-istmas, which was mildly spicy.
Also going well during the evening was Fubar's Pale Ale - but I'm afraid the music didn't do anything for me at all! Sorry, Sixteen Tambourines and Desmondo Lopez!

No comments: