Wednesday 18 February 2015

Hooray for the Hay Handbook!

So, I have this sofa, which my mum gave me. There's nothing wrong with it - it's a nice sofa (just not really my taste), but it no longer has a fire safety label. This means that most of the charities which take furniture won't touch it with a barge pole. Apparently there is new legislation on the matter.
So I was starting to think that my only option was to pay for the Council to take it away, which might mean a perfectly good sofa going into landfill. I'd already tried Freecycle and Freegle, but loads of people are trying to get rid of sofas at the moment. While I was looking through my magazine rack for an old Red Kite with all the Council numbers in it, I came across something that I had totally forgotten - the Hay Handbook! And near the back there were a couple of phone numbers that I hadn't tried yet for recycling furniture. So many thanks to Full House (www.fullhousefrs.org.uk), who will be coming on Tuesday. They provide furniture for low income families in the Hereford area at a low cost, so the sofa will be going to a good home!
And thanks, of course, to Hay Together, without whose work on the Hay Handbook I would never have found out about this local charity.

1 comment:

Hay Together said...

I'm pleased you found it so useful, Lesley! There are more copies at the library and at the Hay Together office on the cobbles behind the castle - we're open Thursdays and Fridays from 9 to 3.