Monday 26 November 2018

Food Festival

On Saturday, the Food Festival was in the marquee on the Square and the Fairtrade Christmas Fair was in the Buttermarket (see the Fairtrade Hay blog for more on that).
Some of the stalls had already set up the night before, for the turning on of the Christmas Lights, when Hay School also had a stall. Most of the takeaway food stalls had set up the night before too, including the Welsh Italian Pizza Company, with their portable pizza oven.
There were old favourites there like Brecon Brewery and Rhymney Brewery, as well as newcomers like an interesting looking gin stall (for those that like gin).
Theoretically, I was looking for Christmas presents, but I ended up mostly buying for myself.
I picked up a loaf from Talgarth Mill - they're also running sessions called the Taste of Milling Experience now, where people can take part in everything that makes the mill work, and end up with a bag of flour they've milled themselves. They do bread making classes, too, including special Christmas ones for German Stollen, and Italian Panetonne.
On the way into the tent, there was a butcher's stall - Coity Bach from Talybont - selling goat sausages! I've never knowingly eaten goat, so I treated myself to a pack.
And on the other side of the entrance to the tent there was an Indian takeaway. They've been before, so I knew my last port of call was going to be them, to treat myself to some spinach samosas for later and Samosa Chaat to eat right away. It was delicious.
Meanwhile, two different choirs were singing while I was shopping (I didn't notice which choirs they were) - with the Kinnersley Singers in the Buttermarket, just far enough away that the music didn't overlap.

No comments: