Saturday 22 December 2018

Celebrating Local Personalities in Art

The Hereford Times publishes a local walk every week, and last week they chose a route around the public art of Hereford. When I go into Hereford, I usually stay around the centre, so I wasn't aware of one of the sculptures on the list, which features Josie Pearson, the Paralympic athlete from Hay.


It's actually a Portrait Bench, featuring Elgar with his bicycle, Josie Pearson and Violette Szabo, who was the first woman to be awarded the George Cross, for her work in the Second World War with SOE.
To get to the bench (and I will try this the next time I'm in Hereford) you go past the Volunteer Inn on Harold Street, onto Crozen Lane, and Outfall Works Road, to cross the Greenway Bridge over the Wye. The bench is fairly close to the bridge, on the railway line.

No comments: