Sunday 30 June 2019

Hereford - Banking and History Day

I had several things to do in Hereford on Saturday, some serious and some enjoyable.

I needed to go into Barclays Bank, to change pounds into Euros. I thought this would be a simple, basic transaction. Obviously, I was wrong.
The young lady behind the counter said that they didn't keep Euros in stock, so would have to order them in, and it would be Tuesday before they arrived. She added that there was a good place round the corner, near Marks and Spencers, that changed money.
I said that really wasn't the point. In the past, I would have been able to pop into my local branch, and it wouldn't have mattered that I had to wait a few days for the money to come in. Now, I had to take an hour's bus journey (costing £8.30), and would have to make another bus journey when the money arrived. I just wanted to make clear (and I hope she passed it on to the management) how inconvenient this was for Barclays customers.
The ladies at Tui, around the corner, were lovely, and changed my money straight away.

Then I went down to Castle Green, where Hereford History Day was in full swing. There was a Victorian funfair for the kids - basically a carousel and swingboats, with a stocks for people to stand in while other people threw wet sponges at them - a good idea on such a hot day! There was a Punch and Judy show, too. There were various food and drink stalls, and a tent where the musicians would be performing (nobody was performing while I was there). Local groups and charities had stalls, including Extinction Rebellion, who had decorated their stall with flowers. There were also craft stalls, and local history, including some interesting old aerial photos of Hereford. I was a bit disappointed that there seemed to be no re-enactors in evidence, though.

No comments: