Thursday 2 April 2020

Safe But Smelly?

So the launderette has closed its doors for the duration - the sign on the door says that this is for the safety of the customers.
At the moment I've got enough dirty clothes in my washing basket for a full load in the washing machine, so what am I going to do with it?
The nearest launderette outside Hay is at the Anchorage Caravan Park in Bronllys, but as far as I know that is being kept just for the residents of the caravan park, and anyway, it's a bus ride away.
An even further bus ride away is the Laundry Basket on the edge of Hereford. I've never been in, but I think they do the washing for you rather than it being self service.
I haven't got room in my tiny house for a washing machine, so I started looking at manual washing machines for camping or caravans. I had a vague memory of a sort of barrel on a stand that you seal and then turn a handle vigorously. However, the simplest form of manual washing seems to be with what is essentially a bucket and a sink plunger - the bucket has a lid with a hole in it for the sink plunger to pass through.
I have a bucket and a sink plunger - so we'll see how that goes.
Another thing I don't have and have no room for is a tumble drier - but at least I am able to share my neighbour's washing line. I think that an essential purchase in the near future will be a clothes drying rack from Jones Hardware.

No comments: