Tuesday 2 June 2020

Walking Above Clyro

It was another hot day on Sunday, so I looked on the map for somewhere shady to walk, and realised I had never been up the hill behind Clyro School. The first part of the walk was in the full sun, of course, along the road from Hay to Clyro.
Clyro School was rebuilt at the same time as Hay School, so looks quite similar except that there is no library as part of the building. Just above the school is Pete's Pirate Playground, which looks quite fun, but is presently closed.
Going up the hill, there is Forest Wood above the lane, mostly conifers, and Cwmsirhwy Wood below the lane. I was right about the shade. It's all dappled sunlight and birdsong, and not too steep. Eventually I emerged from the shade, high up the hill - not far from the telecommunications mast. There's a little cluster of cottages and bungalows on Llowes Common, and a little way beyond that a sign to Clyro Sawmill. By this time I was looking out for somewhere to sit to have my lunch - and there was a log set up as a seat, beside a small oak wood. As I ate my sandwiches and drank my Vimto, a jay flew out across the road. And then I turned back. I always like going out uphill because that means that when I turn back it's downhill all the way - well, apart from the long climb from Clyro to the top of the hill by Radnor's End. I had another short break at the bench opposite Clyro Castle, with the amazing view down the valley towards the Brecon Beacons - the wood of the bench is pretty rotten, but I managed to find a safe place to sit for five minutes to take in the view and drink some more Vimto.

No comments: