Monday 4 March 2024

Hobbycraft in Hereford

 I always seem to choose the most vile weather to travel into Hereford!

On Friday, I went into Bartrum's for some coloured paper for an art project I was in the middle of, and I happened to mention that I didn't know where to get frames from now that Wilko's has closed down.

"What about Hobbycraft?" the lady behind the counter suggested.

I had no idea there was a Hobbycraft in Hereford - and when she described where it was, I realised that it was because I'd never walked out that far from the city centre.  It's in a big area of out-of-town stores near the racecourse.  But it was walkable.

So on Saturday, I waited for the bus in the rain, and by the time we'd got to Dorstone, it was thick snow - very pretty, but slushy on the roads, and then the big puddles started to appear, and once we got past Peterchurch it was heavy rain again.  I had an umbrella with me, but by this time I was starting to think I really didn't want to walk all that way.  I was getting off the bus at the railway station anyway, so I did something I would never normally do - I got a taxi.

It was worth every penny (£5.30).

I got exactly the frames I needed in Hobbycraft, and made a few mental notes of what else they stock for the future.

I did walk back into the city centre - and treated myself to a half of Rev. James bitter in the Lichfield Vaults.  They now have their own tshirt, with the slogan Wish You Were Beer, and a parody of the famous Pink Floyd album cover with the white light hitting a triangle and becoming the whole visible spectrum - only in this case the light is hitting a pint glass.

It was still raining on the way back, with most of the usual puddles along the Golden Valley full of water, but the snow had stopped.  I got chatting to a lovely chap from Pontypridd, who was intending to go out early on Sunday morning up to Storey Arms to climb the hill to see the sunrise. 

No comments: