Friday 24 August 2007

Our wonderful postmen!

My parcel has arrived - a working spinning wheel that I bought off ebay (I'm so excited!).
The lady who sent it to me told me that she had some trouble fitting it in her car to get it to the post office, so I knew it was big.
So yesterday I was sitting in Marijana's shop in Backfold when one of the postmen came in. He checked I was the right person he was looking for, and said he had a huge parcel in the van, and where would I like him to put it? I didn't really want to clutter up the shop with it - and besides, it would be difficult to carry home, so I asked him to put it in the side passage beside the house.
When I got home, no parcel.
So I checked with my neighbour that it hadn't been left with her, and dashed up to the post office to see if it had been left there. No sign of it, but they promised to check in the morning for me.
This morning, success! There it was, exactly where I'd asked him to leave it.
At lunch time, a lady knocked on my door. She lives at the same number as me, but a different street name, close by - and she told me the other half of the saga. The postman must have got confused, after he left me, and left the parcel down her side passage way instead of mine - and then this morning he must have realised his mistake, and moved it to the right place! She had come to see if I'd got it safely. (She thought it might be an exercise bike!)
So now I'm quite excited about trying it out - I use a drop spindle for re-enactment, but I've never had a wheel before.

No comments: