Wednesday 12 September 2007

Changeover Day at the Limited

Today was the day that Richard Booth handed over the Limited to the new owners - and took all the staff off for a farewell party at the Rhydspence, a very nice pub/restaurant across the river. I'm told that the staff are going to get a welcome party from the new owners next!

I was talking about this with Molly and Brian, as we walked up past the Limited from the Clock Tower. Islay had seen them from across the road, and had to go over to say hello. Molly is now on a stick instead of a crutch after her knee operation, so we were ambling slowly along. As we passed Addyman's, we met Paula, who asked how Molly was getting on - she was working there before her operation.
As Paula went in the shop, Mrs Jones came past and stopped. Brian told her that he'd left something for her on her front step the night before. "I was just arranging it artistically when I thought that it might be dark when you got back, and then you'd trip over it and sue me for everything I haven't got," he said, "so I moved it to the side."
I didn't find out what the thing he'd left was, because JA came by at that moment, and asked me how my book was getting on. It's at an agent's at the moment, about to be read so that they can decide whether they want to represent it or not. She wished me well, and told me she was about to go off on holiday, finishing her trip with a visit to Mary Smith, who used to live on Heol-y-dwr before she moved to Norfolk.
As the group broke up to go their different ways, I went up by the Buttermarket, where a toddler was staggering down the slope towards a lady - he hardly needed to duck as he went right between her legs, before tottering up to an older boy, chuckling even when he fell over, with his parents watching from just outside the Antique Market.
Just an ordinary evening - and why I love living in Hay.

No comments: