Thursday 22 November 2007

Hay Festival Winter Weekend

Pemberton's, who are sponsoring the Festival, have put a display of Festival Tshirts in their window. I'm quite tempted, but which to choose?
They're all black or grey, with a small quotation across the chest, and there are four to choose from:

In my mind it replaces Christmas - Tony Benn

The Woodstock of the mind - Bill Clinton

Hay-on-Wye? Is that some kind of sandwich?

I don't do research any more. I just ask the audience at Hay.

Not being the sort of person to take notes as I wander round town, I have no memory of who made the last two quotations.

The Festival is over the weekend of 30th November to 2nd December, and includes local authors Jenny Valentine, Chris Hunter, Elizabeth Bryan, Rob Penn and Antony Woodward (I don't know the last three at all - I must look them up - ah, Elizabeth Bryan has written about her family's battle with cancer, and the other two have written a book about the British weather called The Wrong Kind of Snow).
They've also got Michael Wood the archaeologist, Jim Naughtie the broadcaster, Posy Simmonds the cartoonist, and Sue Kinsey who is campaigning against plastic bags - and others.
Should be a good weekend.
The shops will be open late, and the Christmas lights are being turned on as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lesley - Just wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog and think it's wonderful! Every entry makes me want to pack up and transport myself "across the pond" to Hay.

Laurie (from the IBDoF)

PS. Choose the Bill Clinton t-shirt - he's right!

Eigon said...

Thank you!