Saturday 12 July 2008

Richard's Plannng Something...

but I'm not entirely sure what.
Richard is, of course, Richard Booth, who met me on Castle Street yesterday, and greeted me cheerfully with the words: "I'm living in dread of the BBC phoning me up and asking me if it's the books that bring people to Hay. It's actually the publicity about the books that brings people to Hay."
He went on to try to enlist me in some sort of event at the Castle, which I think would involve me selling SF books for him from a stall: "I'm giving away a hundred copies of H.G. Wells' The Time Machine," he said, and added that there were various options for me to make money out of it too, which he would work out and phone me about later. He always associates SF with me, ever since I worked for him and admitted to being a Trekker (the days of me wearing blue makeup and antennae are long gone, however).
Later, I saw Romy, who sells her artwork from the store room of Nepal Bazaar, down in Backfold. Richard had approached her, too - he always associates her with old maps and prints.
So, there may be something happening up at the Castle, or it might just be one of Richard's ideas that come to nothing. Either way, the girl who organised the events over the Festival won't be doing any of the organising. I saw her sitting outside the Sandwich Cellar with her Brazilian boyfriend, and they're about to go off to Brazil for a couple of months because his father is ill.

No comments: