Wednesday 25 February 2009

Tourism and Hay

I didn't go to the meeting last night at the Swan - it was the only time I had to make a cake for the Coffee Tasting Event (mustn't call it a Coffee Morning!) at the Bear tomorrow.
I did get to talk to several people who did go, though. On the first meeting they held, there were 15 people, so they'd organised accordingly - and got more like 70! The whole thing started with a procession of people carrying extra chairs in.
They now have a steering committee, and are going to look at the Hay website. I know I wasn't there, so I can't give an informed opinion, but from what I've heard it seems to me that they are treating Hay like any other tourist destination. The trouble is, all the other tourist destinations will be doing exactly the same sort of things - so how is Hay going to stand out from the crowd?
Boz and Paul said that there was hardly any mention of what makes Hay unique - and it's the unique selling points that are needed to attract visitors. That is, of course, the bookshops. At the Revolutionary Council meeting tonight, they said that it's ironic that we are the people who want to depose Richard Booth, but at the same time, we seem to be the ones who understand best what he has done for Hay, and want to continue that into the future.
To that end, we will be advertising for the position of Executioner shortly. (Given only the slightest encouragement, Richard may even join in himself! We will, of course have a body double/effigy for the actual falling of the axe.).

No comments: