Wednesday 3 February 2010

Changes on Castle Street (and elsewhere)

I noticed that the Barber's shop on Castle Street has a 'To Let' sign in the window now.
Meanwhile, round the corner on Oxford Road Marlene's Pet Supplies has closed down - but I don't think that has anything to do with economic down turns. I believe Marlene is ill.
The biggest shock, though, came when I was browsing through the property section of the B&R. Chris Gibbons' Butcher's Shop is for sale!
"A rare opportunity to purchase a prime high street shop premises, currently a well known family butchers with self-contained one bedroom flat above. £395,000"
Chris Gibbons was a fixture on Castle Street when I first came to Hay. It will be very sad to see the shop go. Where will I get those lovely Welsh Dragon sausages then?

3 comments:

Arthur's Dad said...

Chris Gibbons on Castle Street is to close due to illness, I'm sorry to hear. I do hope another butcher takes it over. Maybe Chris George from Talgarth.

I didn't know you can buy sausages made from dragons. Are they any good? I bet they're a bit hot and spicy!

Eigon said...

They are jolly nice! And so are his other sausages.

Anonymous said...

What a shame, in every respect. We will miss the great meat, the butchers banter, the window displays - especially at Christmas. The whole shop was perfect. No more Dragons! Gutted.

Best wishes to Chris and hope the health issues improve.

End of an era.