Saturday 31 July 2010

Jousting

A group of jousters come to Baskerville Hall every summer, but this year they're here over several weekends. I was kindly given a free ticket, so I went over to have a look.
Of course, I went in costume - I've been missing doing re-enactment this summer.
As I suspected, it is firmly aimed at the kiddies - which is not a bad thing. When I was a kid I went to several jousts, and they really got me excited about medieval history and wanting to know more. They have a Black Knight, Sir Guy of Gisbourne, leading one team, and Sir Lancelot of the Lake leading the other team - which probably tells you everything you need to know about who to cheer and who to boo. And they aren't wearing real chain mail.
What did rather disappoint me was that the gates opened at 1pm, the joust started at 3pm, and there was nothing to look at in those two hours if you happened to turn up early (which I did). There are the hotel gardens, and you could get refreshments, and there was a stall selling plastic swords and shields, but that was it. Which is a long time to wait if you're six. Even if they do put on a good show.
It's a long time to wait if you're 49. After a very pleasant chat with the chap on the gate, I walked back home, and took Islay in her carriage up to Kilvert's for a drink. I had Summer Meltdown from Dark Star (with a touch of spice, it said - and there was, too), which was very pleasant indeed.

No comments: