Wednesday 11 August 2010

Ending the Season with a Bang!

I was going to talk about the Transition Towns Hay Day - and then I was going to mention the second Festival of British Cinema - and then I thought I'd talk about the Beer Festival at Kilverts. Then I thought I'd better wait until I had all the flyers and brochures and information, because they're all happening over the same weekend!
The last weekend in September, 24th - 26th, Hay is definitely the place to be!
Kilvert's are having their Ale and Literature Festival - 50 Welsh ales, local and Welsh authors and live music, and a poetry competition (write a poem about Hay). Pete Brown will be there, who writes Pete Brown's Beer Blog, amongst others.
And while that's going on, the Parish hall and Booth's Bookshop and the Community Centre will be showing some of the best of British films. See www.filmfestivalhay.co.uk for all the details. They are also looking for anyone who appeared in the film It Happened Here, which was about a Nazi invasion of Britain and was shot around New Radnor, with a cast that included a lot of local people.
And on the Saturday there will be bicycles, and hopscotch down Castle Street, and all manner of recycleable, sustainable fun, for the second Hay Day (the last one was mainly about bicycles - this one has expanded somewhat).
It's all going to be marvellous!

6 comments:

Eddie86 said...

Can I just give you the website for the festival? It's www.thehaybrewery.co.uk/festival, and is now fully up to date!

Eigon said...

Thanks - and that's a lovely ruby mild you've got on at the moment.

Eddie86 said...

Ah, the Rudgate. Champion Beer of Britain last year. Have you tried the Jaipur? More expensive than the other ales but Gold Medal strong ale (5.9%) and completely worth it. Will probably only be on until Friday night...

Eigon said...

I'll be trying the Jaipur next time I come in - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Woman's Hour Friday 13th, BBC Radio 4, did a piece on why women are drinking beer and prefer it, and so on - try and catch it, Lesley!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/whnews
13 August 2010
Fri, 13 Aug 10
Women and Beer - why are more women swapping their Pinot Grigio for a pale ale? Knitted Lives exhibition on everyday objects knitted in wool.

Actually, you may find the other article interesting too!

Eigon said...

Sounds fascinating - thanks! I'll certainly have a listen.
I used to get a bottle of wine in now and then and have a glass in the evening, but just lately I've been thinking that there are so many good beers out there, why am I bothering to drink cheap wine?