Friday 20 August 2010

Felt Making Day

Today, the Stitch and Bitch crowd decamped from the Swan to the Outdoor Training centre in Llanigon to have a go at making felt. With the large amounts of soapy water involved, I don't think the Swan would have been too keen on us trying it in their bar!
I just went along for the company - I have too many craft projects on the go already to add another one - so I sat to one side making a sock on my Knatty Knitter, and watching as the others transformed fleece into small round bags, and experimented with silk.
We were all in a large open-sided shed, clustered around two tables, one of which was used as a den by the three small boys while it was raining. In fact, we had thunder and lightening while we were there! Islay was there too - I pushed her all the way in her trolley, and she was very tolerant.
Sharon kept us supplied with tea and welsh cakes, and we all brought a packed lunch - and everyone ended up with something good to take home.
Next time we meet in the Swan, we're going to be taking a serious look at socks - different ways of making them, and how to rescue them when they've gone horribly wrong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I am very sorry I missed the felting day and also a long walk with yourselves!

2. What is a Knatty Knitter? Is it a magical device that makes socks for you? and

3. So glad we are doing stuff about socks next time. I have always wanted to make some but think that they look rather difficult - especially for a novice knitter like me :-)

Eigon said...

A Knatty Knitter is basically a round frame with pegs in it that can be used to make hats and socks and double thickness scarves and so on. They come in different sizes.

I'm a bit dubious about making socks myself, but I thought it would be easier this way, and I do have one complete sock now, and a second one half done. I just hope they're both the same size when they're done!