Saturday 16 July 2011

Hereford History Day


I'd been intending to go to Hereford History Day anyway, since it's practically on the doorstep. Then I thought, "Well, why don't I go in kit?" since my medieval costumes are hanging around in the wardrobe not doing anything. Then I saw the programme of events - and thought, "Hang on - I know that red and yellow helmet!" And there were Drudion, doing a skirmish on Castle Green and living history all day.
So here I am, posing by one of the medieval tents.
I had a great time! I took a load of odd balls of wool down for the new group weaver to use (she's been to schools twice now to demonstrate weaving, and seems to be enjoying it), and the medieval/Viking board game that I got at the Hay car boot sale, and tried out my new head dress, as described by Gerald of Wales in his book The Description of Wales.
I got to dress small children in chainmail and chat to members of the public about history - one chap had just done his university dissertation on St Thomas of Cantilupe. I met some old friends, including all four of the group's dogs, who decided my face needed washing all at the same time!
There were Tudor dancers and musicians, some other late medieval groups - and an old friend was with the Freemen of Gwent - a falconer, Devilstick Peat the jester, some World War II vehicles, and a Home Guard obstacle course, complete with tin hats and wooden rifles. The Sealed Knot were there, too.
It was a great day out, and they'll be doing it next year, too.

1 comment:

ros said...

You look fab!! Wish I could have gone, but to be honest I am as dozy as ever and didn't even know it was on.