Sunday 7 August 2011

Hay Girl in the Big City: Psychic Paper

I've just come back from a few days in London.
I've been planning it, along with my young man, for months, but at the last minute I nearly couldn't go at all. My dog sitter let me down (thanks, Vee - I shan't be asking her to do anything for me again). Fortunately I have some very good friends, who were able to take over looking after Islay at extremely short notice. (The sight of me on my knees on their doorsteps might have had something to do with it as well!)
So Islay has been very well looked after, and I have had a fantastic time!

Mark lives south of the river in Bexley Heath, and we were planning to do quite a bit of travelling about while I was there, so the first thing he did for me was to get me an Oyster card. When I lived in London, Oyster cards hadn't been thought of, so this was quite exciting! You just touch the wallet to the big yellow button, and it pays your fare. Magic! In fact, just like Doctor Who's psychic paper, which gains him entry just about anywhere.
Having been told that he had moved into quite a grim and deprived area, the reality was rather a pleasant surprise, with trees everywhere around the tower blocks, and horses from the local traveller's camp tethered on the grassy areas. And someone is keeping chickens in their back garden - we could hear the rooster! Mark has the most stupendous views from his windows, with the city all laid out before you in one direction, and Abbey Wood (all 88 hectares of it) in another, and a boating lake nearby. The city looks particularly fine lit up at night - it's quite a contrast to Hay! And apart from background traffic noise, it's quite quiet up there on the twelfth floor.
so, up in the 'penthouse suite', we planned our days of entertainment and delight....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Welcome home! I missed you - especially when I was sitting on my own in the Swan waiting for someone, anyone? to arrive for the stitch and bitch :-) Shouldn't take things for granted I know..

So glad you have had a fantastic time, and just to let you know - we would have had the lovely Islay for you too, short notice or not.

Cheers my dear

Eigon said...

Thanks Ros - I'll bear that in mind next time I go away!