Wednesday 5 October 2011

A load of Rubbish!

We've had a leaflet through the door about the new recycling service.
Starting on the week beginning 7th November, Hay will be under the new regime, with:
an 'aqua' box for glass (I presume they mean some sort of pale blue)
a blue box for paper and card
a red box for plastic and cans
a green food waste caddy, including kitchen caddy and compostable liners (so, is this two caddies? I already have a compost caddy in my kitchen - it came with the compost bin I got from the council several years ago, so I don't need any of this).
a black wheeled bin for anything else (they really don't want to call it a wheelie bin, but that's what it is.)
or purple bags where a wheeled bin is impractical.
There was also a form to send off to get the smaller version of the wheel(ie) bin - and that's 120 litres capacity! I added a note saying it would take me six months to fill one.
There will be someone in Hay on Wednesday 12th October from 9am to 2pm at the Community Centre to answer any questions - so I won't be able to go, because I'll be at work.
One of the questions I would like to ask is - what am I supposed to do with those rolls of black sacks, and clear sacks with red or black writing on them? And what are the Council going to do with all the bags left over? I hope they're not going to go to landfill....

3 comments:

Emanation said...

all EXACTLY my sentiments lesley xxx

Arthur's dad said...

Lesley, I asked the Man in the Suit your two questions. He said you can use your remaining plastic bags however you wish. Very kind of him, I thought. You could even recycle your recycling bags, he said. He also said that Powys are doing the change over gradually across the region and that eventually all stocks of existing bags will be used up.

The three crates, red, green and blue are much bigger than I anticipated so they'll take up a fair bit of room. The food bin thing comes as a small one for the kitchen with a disposable liner bag and a bigger one that you keep outside - or somewhere other than the kitchen for those who don't have any 'outside'.

Eigon said...

Thank you very much for that!