Friday 18 November 2011

A Mystery Solved

I live in the end house of three cottages, and I'd often wondered about the history of them. The back wall is hugely thick, and solid, while the front wall is obviously Victorian terrace, so there's obviously been some re-modelling done. Also, I knew that the cottages were originally stables. The flat flagstone area at the front was originally a sloping cobbled surface so the horses could be led up to the stables.
The cottages are also odd in that they are not the same size. From the front, they look identical, but as soon as you get inside, you see the differences. They fit together like pieces from a jigsaw puzzle, with the stairs of the middle cottage fitting between the front room and kitchen of my cottage.

[The remainder of this post has been removed at the request of the lady concerned. My apologies for upsetting her, and I hope she keeps on with her family history.]

No comments: