Friday 4 November 2011

Rubbish!

After all the song and dance about new methods of collecting rubbish, and the new system of recycling - the new bins have been delivered today.
I saw the van in Carlesgate yesterday, delivering all the wheelie bins and boxes - but most of the rest of town, it seems, is getting none of that. I got a green 'food waste caddy' with everything else packed into it. It seems that my house has been 'identified as not suitable' for the wheelie bins, which is something of a relief, so I get the food caddy for outside, the kitchen caddy (for all the food waste I don't compost already in the kitchen caddy I already have), biodegradable liner bags for the kitchen caddy - and some more plastic bags. These are purple for non-recyclable, clear with blue writing for paper and clear with red writing for plastic and cans. It seems that glass recycling won't be happening from the doorstep for the moment. I'm not entirely clear why they had to issue new bags when we all had plenty of bags from the old scheme which are now obsolete (the red bags seem to be the same).
However, I'm now all set for the new system - not so different from the old system except that the non-recyclable stuff will be collected every fortnight. There's a handy little calendar to show which weeks are which.
Something that is rather useful is a checklist showing exactly what is deemed recyclable and what isn't. (But - why not labels off food cans? They're just paper, aren't they? And what about envelopes with clear windows? I dare say all will be revealed in time.)

No comments: