Wednesday 2 January 2013

Changes on the High Street

A New Year, a new era of the Mayan Calendar, and things are gradually getting back to normal in Hay after the holidays.
Sadly, though, Phil the Fruit has decided to give up the shop on the Pavement. Shop and flat above it are now on the market. (When I want Chef on the Run's jam and marmalade now, I'll have to go round to the Stables cafe to get it).
Meanwhile, on Castle Street, Bedecked will be closing shortly. They do a lot of internet business - the sign on their window says that they started as a kitchen table operation and have risen to become the largest supplier of European braids and buttons in the UK - but the owner now wants to partially retire, so she can more easily care for a relative at home, and so the shop is having a sale. The business is going to carry on, online. I hope my new Steampunk hat arrives in time for me to take it in to choose the trimmings!
And back at the bottom of the Pavement - I think this happened a while ago, but I didn't take much notice because it was a change from an art gallery to an art gallery - the house/shop near the bottom of the slope seems to have changed from being the showroom for Crispin Thornton-Jones' amazing landscapes to being a more general art gallery called The Sitting Room.

No comments: