Sunday 12 August 2018

Party on Bear Street

I've been to a lovely party.
Françoise, the lovely French lady who lives in Hay with her husband Pierre, needed a space to do her art. She has had training as a botanic artist - she was kind enough to show me her portfolio, and it's very good. She also created a calendar last year, with the help of children from Hay School, to raise money for the school - I think it's still available in Pughs, and it doubles as a postcard and bookmark when it's no longer being used as a calendar.
So she bought a garage in Bear Street, and has been renovating it as a studio. Now it's finished, and to celebrate she invited all her neighbours on Bear Street, as well as people who have been selling the calendar (like the ladies from Pugh's) and me.
The studio was packed - and people were also going upstairs to see what she'd done with the space up there, very carefully because it's a narrow and steep staircase. There were nibbles, including some yummy little cakes, and prosecco, and cider and soft drinks - and a lot of good conversation. I ended up chatting to a chap who I first met when I arrived in Hay 27 years ago! It doesn't seem that long!

No comments: