Monday 27 August 2018

What I Did on my Holidays

So, I've just spent a week in London, chilling out with my Young Man and doing some exploring.
We visited the Horniman Museum (once associated with the Order of the Golden Dawn). We looked for locations mentioned in the Rivers of London series of books (about the magical division of the Met Police) in Soho, where we sat at the 'Peter Grant' table in Patisserie Valerie (where he's being seduced by Simone in Moon Over Soho), Russell Square (where the Folly, the HQ of the magical police is) and Covent Garden (where Peter Grant first takes a witness statement from a ghost).
We visited several gorgeous Victorian pubs - the fish and chips at the Salisbury was particularly good, but they have been doing it since 1860!
We went up the River Thames on a City Clipper river bus.
We visited the Mithraeum, which is free, and absolutely brilliant for anyone interested in Romans. I've wanted to visit it since I read Eagle of the Ninth as a child (Marcus Flavius Aquila was a worshipper of Mithras). For a long time it was in the Museum of London - the altar stone still is - but the rest of it has been restored to the original location where it was found in the 1950s, 7 metres beneath the present ground level, under a big office block near Cannon Street Station.
We took long bus rides through places like Greenwich, Elephant and Castle, around Paddington and Waterloo - and found a back street where part of Remembrance of the Daleks (the Sylvester McCoy story with Ace) was filmed. I have stood where Daleks were blown up!
And we had time for a pleasant Sunday lunch and afternoon in the garden with the Young Man's family.

I'll be writing more about my holidays, for anyone who's interested, over on my other blog, Morwenna's Tower (on the side bar).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good trip. Not too many ghosts I hope :)

Eigon said...

Only the ones we wanted to see!