Tuesday 9 July 2019

Musical Duo at St Mary's

When I was at the beer festival with friends, they said they were going to St Mary's the following evening to see Dan Cassidy and James Hickman perform, so I said I'd like to go with them.
There was a small, but enthusiastic audience for the duo at the church. It seems that Dan Cassidy, an American now living in Iceland, lived in Hay during the early 1990s, when he played with local musicians Martin Blake and Blake's Three. So several people in the audience knew him.
Dan plays fiddle, and James plays guitar. He comes from Shrewsbury, where he says there was a strong bluegrass tradition when he was growing up, which influenced his playing style.
It was a very enjoyable concert - and there were times when Dan's hand on the violin bow was a blur, he was playing so fast!

There's another concert, organised by Hay Jazz, on Saturday (their poster says 21st July, but I think it must mean the 20th), starting at 7.30pm. The performers are Janice Day and Martin Litton - back by popular demand, says the poster, with all new material from 1939!
At first I told my friends I wouldn't be going, as I'm not that keen on jazz, but looking at the playlist on the poster, I might change my mind. It includes In the Mood, Moonlight Serenade, and songs from Peggy Lee and Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald and Judy Garland, and Frank Sinatra - and even Flanagan and Allen!
Tickets are £12.

2 comments:

johnp said...

In the Armstrong 'Dandelion Dead' ITV programme from the 1990's, Dan was the fiddle player in the drill hall. He also recorded his first CD with his sister Eva singing on three tracks. However Terry Wogan picked up on Eva Cassidy's CD and Dan's CD sadly sank with out a trace. The tracks Eva sang on with Dan playing were 'Fever' 'I Know You By Heart' and 'How Can I Keep You From Singing'. A small audience but an excellent night on the doorstep.

Eigon said...

Thanks for the information, John!
It's a pity they'd sold out of their CD on the night - I'd have happily bought one.