Wednesday 28 May 2008

Peacocks - and more rain

I happened to be wearing a sweatshirt with a picture of a peacock on the front of it today. My mother-in-law bought it for me, after going to a demontration of the sort of art that transfers glittery stuff onto fabric.
I was behind the counter at the shop when a woman came up. (Just to clarify - I had never seen this woman before in my life). She took one look at the sweatshirt and said: "I've got a present for you! It's in the car." So she scuttled off, and came back a few moments later. "Now, close your eyes and hold your hands out."
I did, and she laid a peacock feather across my hands.
She made a sketch of the picture, too, so she could have a go at reproducing it for herself.

Meanwhile, it has been raining again. There were pictures in the B&R today of the fire brigade pumping the field out at the Festival site, and a ballerina posing in tutu, brolly and green wellies.
Comments have included: "It's God's fault! 'I wasn't invited to the Hay Festival this year, so I will send rain!'"
"It's because Christopher Hitchens is here!"
"I'm just going out to check the lifeboats."
"It looks as if the cricket match at the weekend will be rained off, even if it stops raining now." (This was Mike, who is on the Hay team).
"It's a bit much if rain stops play three days before the match!"

It didn't stop the Fun Day for the Kids - old fashioned Punch and Judy, storytelling and face painting in the Buttermarket.
And the Guardian, sponsors of the Festival, have been giving away rain capes as well as cloth bags. I've seen a few Barclays brollies too.

No comments: