Sunday 2 August 2009

Merrily's Border

I wish I'd known about this a bit more in advance - I love Phil Rickman's Merrily Watkins series of books, and I love Kinnersley Castle, and this event combined the two.
A new book of photographs of places mentioned in Phil Rickman's books was launched today at Kinnersley Castle. Rev Merrily Watkins is the diocesan exorcist (though they prefer the term 'Deliverance Ministry' these days) for Herefordshire, and the books take her to picture postcard villages throughout the county, all of which harbour dark secrets. Most of the dark secrets are based on real local folklore.
Which makes Kinnersley Castle an interesting choice for the launch, as it has associations with Dr John Dee, the Elizabethan magician, and I don't think Phil Rickman has written about him yet.

1 comment:

Drifting Star said...

According to Amazon Phil Rickman's next novel is called 'Dr Dee's Practice', and is about Dr John Dee and Elizabeth I. It has a publication date of November 1st 2009. Sadly it isn't a Merrily Watkins book, but a historical novel - not really my cup of tea.

Rather oddly, the same book is entitled 'The Bones of Avalon' and given a date of 'Candlemas 2010' on Phil Rickman's own website.