Thursday 30 December 2010

Betwixtmas Market Day

I picked up the word 'Betwixtmas' from Craig Charles on Radio 2 the other day, meaning that little bit between Christmas and New Year which is neither one thing nor the other.
So, off up town with Islay in her trolley to meet and greet (her) and do a bit of shopping (me).
I got some seriously delicious plum and mulled wine Christmas jam from the Women's Institute stall on the Buttermarket (I'm eating it on toast as I type this). Just near the entrance, a potter from Caerphilly was selling off some seconds, so I treated myself to a little beaker that I can use for medieval re-enactment. The potter is Gwynneth Rixon, and her website is gwynnethrixonceramics.co.uk.
Down to Londis for some groceries, and when I came out there was a little boy dressed as Robin the Boy Wonder outside. "Where's Batman?" I asked. He ran a little way up the pavement.
"I'm Batman," said his grandma.
"Ah, you're in disguise," I said.
"Yes - we're looking for the Penguin," she said.
"If I see him, I'll let you know."

Funny how a good mood can just vanish instantly.
I pushed Islay's trolley round the corner, minding my own business as I walked down the pavement, when a big car started to park right next to and in front of me, up on the (narrow) pavement! I bent down to peer in the car window - he obviously hadn't even noticed me, and I hardly blend into the background, with my Sherlock Holmes coat and the trolley with the dog in it!
He parked giving me just barely enough room to pass, so I came round to peer in at his front windscreen. No acknowledgement at all - he was an older man, with a tweed jacket - so I waited for him to get out of the car - again, he completely ignored me.
There was a small group of people clustered just below me around the shop that used to be Horsewise. The Horsewise sign board was on the floor. "Look at that!" I said at random to one of the group. "Illegally parked, up on the footpath, hardly left me any room to squeeze past - and he doesn't care, does he?"
(I had twigged by this point that the older man seemed to be with the other group, whose car was also illegally parked on the double yellow lines and up on the pavement.)
None of them seemed inclined to apologise, though the lady I addressed looked a bit worried.
If this is what the people who are starting Lion Street Gallery are like, I can't say I'm impressed so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Inconsiderate parking can be very bemusing. What about the big 4 wheel drive parked opposite Shepherds on the pavement most of the morning? O.K, not a vital thoroughfare, but WHY? There was no one disabled using the car and they left a huge bull type dog in there while the owners and passengers were out in Hay. So strange.....