Sunday 22 July 2012

Lunch at the Blue Boar

I had visitors yesterday, so I took them to lunch at the Blue Boar.
The starters were almost a meal in themselves - I had the soup (not sure what it was, but it was delicious!), and my cousin went for the mackerel. He didn't want to eat it all, in case he didn't have room for the main course. And the main courses were also for people with hearty appetites. I had the chili, and my visitors had the salmon and broccoli tagliatelle and the chicken and mushroom pie. "I was expecting one of those little pots with the flaky pastry on top," my cousin said, after polishing off something that was obviously home cooked and delicious.
We didn't have room for a sweet, but we did wash the meal down with some nice Hooky and Landlord, and a glass of Pinot Grigot.
As we were getting ready to go, three old ladies were also getting ready to leave after their lunch. One lady wanted to wait for her son to pick her up outside, but was a bit unsteady on her feet, and couldn't see very well, so my cousin's wife took her arm and helped her down the steps.
"I'll be a hundred years old on Christmas Day," she said, and said that the church was organising a party for her - before Christmas, because she wanted to be there! They all walked with sticks, and one of them said; "They call us the Three Musketeers in the chemists!"

No comments: