Monday 15 July 2019

A Visit to the Library

The Oxfam plant and book fair wasn't the only event happening on Saturday morning. When I'd been there I went up to the school to browse round their second Car Boot sale, where I picked up a few interesting bits and pieces (and - okay - a Donny Osmond CD!)
Then I went into the library to see if the Welsh Conversation class was happening.
While I was browsing round the shelves, I came across a book in the Local History Reference section which was all about the water meadows along the Golden Valley. I came across some of the archaeological remains where the water flow was controlled when I did a walk between Vowchurch and Peterchurch a while back.
The Welsh conversationalists didn't turn up, but Jane the librarian took my name to let me know when it's happening again.
She was chatting to one of the new members of the town council, who seems to know everything about the local buses! He told her he'd get hold of the new T14 timetables for the library for her.

I'm not sure how the conversation got round to it, but we ended up talking about the local Credit Union, which now operates out of the Library on Thursdays.
Credit Unions are financial co-operatives run by and for the members, and are very useful for people on low incomes because they offer affordable, low cost loans as well as savings accounts. The Brecon and District Credit Union has been around for about twenty years, so they have plenty of experience behind them. I remember trying to join when they first started, but at that time I lived just outside the area they covered. Their website is at www.breconcreditunion.co.uk

No comments: