Sunday 18 April 2021

Bus Pass and NHS Tests

 When I was sitting on the bus to Hereford, it occurred to me that I have just passed a Significant Birthday, so I am eligible for a bus pass!

I looked it up online when I got home.  Transport for Wales issues the bus passes, and there is a simple form to fill in.  You need your NI number - and a digital passport style photo.

That was the fun bit.  I already had a head and shoulders shot, but I was smiling, so that wouldn't do.

I transformed my bedroom into a photographic studio!  I had a blank wall behind me, and set up a big mirror to sit in front of.  I've taken photos of myself in various costumes before, and the first three or four are always rubbish, so I was expecting to do a bit of experimentation.  Eventually, I had the curtains closed, the main light on, and a lamp at each side to prevent shadowing.  I was also trying to take the photos without wearing my glasses.  I don't have terribly bad eyesight, but bad enough that details can be hard to make out.

However, I got what I considered to be a reasonable photo, and it was accepted when I submitted it on the form!  Now it should take 10 working days for the card to reach me.

Something else happened when I passed my Significant Birthday - I got a test kit from the NHS, to take a sample of my poo to see if I have bowel cancer.  I was quite impressed with the efficiency of it all - I sent off my little sample to a lab in Wales, and I've already had the letter back to say that I'm healthy.

No comments: