Thursday 1 July 2021

Half a Day in Talgarth

 The bus to Talgarth came at about quarter past nine this morning, and I had plenty of time to wait before my doctor's appointment.

The good news is that my mole is a benign mole.

I then had about two hours to wait for the bus back to Hay.  

I had a parcel to post, and my water rates to pay, and it seemed sensible to take those with me to Talgarth rather than keep my fingers crossed that the van would turn up in Hay on Friday.

The post office counter is in the Co-op, and there was a story in the Brecon and Radnor Express this week about the Co-op wanting to build a new store on some derelict land on the outskirts of Talgarth.  I can see why - the present shop is quite cramped.

Then I went to the Tourist Information shop and had a pleasant chat with the chap behind the counter about local walks.  There's a hillfort just above Talgarth that I've been wanting to visit for a while - it didn't feature on any of the walks in the booklet I bought, but there's a lot of variety in the walks that were chosen.  I didn't have time to go on a five mile hike, though, so I just wandered around Talgarth, and read my book in the Riverside Garden.

The Talgarth Woodland Group seems to be very active - I'm not sure if they are responsible for all the gardening, but I did notice their name here and there.  There's even a container of fruit and veg plants beside the old Nat West bank (now the Wye and Usk Foundation offices), with a sign telling people to help themselves.


The John Gwynne Centenary Garden


The Riverside Garden


The War Memorial Garden

I went for a coffee at the Strand, and on the way I noticed that Talgarth has a Museum now:



And there were red kites overhead all the time, some of them swooping quite low.

Back at the bus stop, a lady who was waiting for the next bus to Brecon showed me that there is now an electronic bus timetable next to the bus shelter.  However, it was still displaying the time 12.05 for the T14 to Hay, when the new timetable is 12.25.
The bus came at 12.25.


No comments: