Wednesday 14 August 2024

Launching Our Lady of the Waters Again

 I'm back from Glasgow WorldCon.  I had a brilliant time and since several people have asked me to share photos, they will be coming just as soon as I can sort them out.

The first person I bumped into when I got back to Hay was Elena.  I'd literally stepped off the last bus home, dumped my bags and gone up to Spar to get milk.  She told me that St Mary's is holding a big event on Thursday morning.

Our Lady of the Waters, the wooden statue that was the focus of a pilgrimage down the River Wye, is being launched again.  She is being taken from Hay via Bredwardine and Moccas to Hereford, in a call to action against the pollution of the River Wye.  Thursday has been chosen because it is the Feast of the Assumption, an important day in the Marian calendar (when the Virgin Mary was taken up bodily to Heaven).

The timetable is as follows: 

8.30am    Mass at St Mary's

9am        procession from St Mary's to Hay Bridge

9.30am    launch at Hay Bridge

4pm        arrival at Bredwardine (with musicians playing Bridge over Troubled Waters)

5 - 6pm    tea at Moccas village hall (£10 prior booking required - tickets from Rachel Jenkins on 01981                 500726)

6.30 - 7.30pm    Gregorian chant by the monks of Belmont Abbey at Moccas Church

The following day, the statue sets off again from Bredwardine to Hereford starting at 9am, arriving at Hereford Cathedral in time for 5.30pm Evensong in the Lady Chapel.

On August 17th, the statue will be taken in procession to All Saints Church for coffee and cake between 10 and 11am, after which the statue will continue down the river to Hoarwithy Church for Evensong at 5.30pm.




No comments: