Sunday 7 September 2008

The Knitting Needle Killer of Hereford!

I went into the Council Offices to pay my Council Tax the other day. The lady there used a little guillotine to slice the paper so I could have a reciept.
"That's dinky," I said.
"It's because we're not allowed scissors," she said.
"What - in case you run amok with them?" I laughed.
"Well, in case someone else grabs them and runs amok," she said.
So I told her about Oxfam, where they no longer display knitting needles in case someone runs amok with them. I said I'd looked on the internet, but I couldn't find any real life incident where someone had been killed with a knitting needle.
"Oh, but there was a lady in Hereford! She lived somewhere up the hill from the railway station. It was about 40 years ago, and she was stabbed to death. They thought she must have known the killer though, because she let them in the house."
So there we are - not only is there a real life knitting needle murder, but right on our very doorstep!

No comments: