Friday 12 September 2008

A Walk Round Hay

I've walked Islay's little legs off! She's having a little lie down now.

I was taking round the Fairtrade window stickers to all the shops and businesses that are in the Fairtrade Directory. Islay enjoyed this at first, but after a while she got the idea that I was going into shop after shop while she had to wait outside, and she started looking at me as if it wasn't fun any more. To make things worse, I walked past Country Supplies twice before I weakened and let her go in to get a treat.
It took a lot longer than I expected (silly me), and I haven't finished yet, because I kept stopping to talk.

I found out that Rose is a member of the Hedgehog Society, and that hedgehogs, badgers, foxes and sparrowhawks visit her garden near Kilpeck (and it's costing her a fortune in peanuts!).

Haydn is rejoicing in the incarceration of a local villain, presently at Her Majesty's Pleasure.

Alen asked me how my writing's getting on (slowly, but finding out about Victorian Fleetwood and the Isle of Man is fun), and told me about how one of her ancestors used to go from Preston to Blackpool for Wakes Week in a horse drawn carriage - the whole town used to close down for Wakes Week, and different towns in Lancashire took different weeks, so the hotels in Blackpool had people coming and going all season, one town at a time.

A playpen has been set up by the door of Golesworthy's, containing an angelic looking blond child who was playing with a cardboard box.

Marijana Dworski has emptied her shop on Backfold. I assume she'll be working from home again - she always did a lot of business from home.

And the workmen at Millbank Development, where Underhills Garage used to be, seem to be putting in a new footpath and flower bed. There have been traffic lights set up for a few days now, since the work has narrowed the road to one lane, and it's made quite a few of us on Broad Street notice just how much traffic goes up and down outside our houses.

No comments: