Saturday 10 October 2009

Pottering

After a freezing cold day yesterday, it's turned very mild and sunny today - so I decided to do some gardening. Yesterday, I took Islay down to the Co-op and, as a reward for being able to walk so far (she couldn't have done it last Friday - in fact, we tried and had to turn back) we went in Hay and Brecon Farmers on the way back for a treat for her. While I was there, I noticed some dwarf daffodil bulbs, and thought a bit of spring colour might be nice.
So, this morning I went looking for the plant troughs I knew I had somewhere. I finally found them under the comfrey plants - but I couldn't use one of them. It was full of water, and three little heads popped up to look at me! I had no idea we had frogs in the garden, and frogs now is far better than daffodils in six months time, so I left them there, and found something else to plant the bulbs in.

We had a potter round town after that. There was a girl in Londis inviting customers to try new flavours of Tyrell's crisps (the pork and apple was very nice - and I don't usually like crisps). Next door, Simon was sitting on the doorstep of Goosey Ganders with a cup of tea balanced on top of a little classical column. He was taking a break from making a new chandelier, which is hanging in the window. When he started off, he just had the arms of it, but now he's got a couple of boxes of crystal pieces to add to it, and some lovely turquoise glass he found on the Greek island of Santorini. It's going to look magnificent when it's done.

Up by HSBC, the busker had wandered off and left his stool and guitar there. (Only in Hay!)

Meanwhile, posters have gone up all round town for Amalgamation Reunited - half a dozen bands are coming to Hay Castle on October 23rd to play in aid of Help for Heroes - and there's going to be a hog roast and a bar. Sounds like it could be a good night out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I'm very glad to have found your blog, I love Hay and visited many times when we lived in the U.K.. So pleased to hear your dog is better.
Cheers
Ros