Friday 24 December 2010

Combines in Camera

Yesterday morning I wandered over to Broad Street Book Centre, where yet another local author was holding a book launch.
As soon as I walked through the door, I realised that I knew her - and that her idea of a good time really is going round looking at farm machinery!
Sue Morgan has taken photos of vintage combine harvesters, and has written about the history of the different models and the companies that made them. There are several books about tractors about, but I'd say that this book fills a niche that hadn't been looked at before. And the pictures are beautiful.
Sue has also produced calendars, with one combine a month, which she is selling in aid of the Macmillan Cancer Support charity.
While I was there, munching on a very good home made mince pie, Sue signed a couple of books for eager customers. The wellies and overalls made me suspect that they were actually local farmers. One chap said that he'd come all the way down from Rhayader - though the main point of his visit to Hay was to buy something essential from Williams Hardware just on the edge of town.
For anyone interested in combine harvesters, the book and calendars can be purchased from Broad Street Book Centre in Hay, or online from Japonica Press.

No comments: