Wednesday 13 April 2011

Open Mic Night Again

I don't spend all my spare time down at Kilvert's, honest!
This was a quiet night. I treated myself to a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and as I sat sipping it (it's a 10% brew, so not one to just knock back), I was joined by a visitor to Hay from Doncaster, who was wondering what people in Hay did in the evenings, and where did they all disappear to? Hay night life is not much like the night life in Doncaster, apparently.
It's a pity the pub was so quiet, because we were joined by Dirty Ray - I've seen him play at the Globe - and later a lad called Jake sang some very good songs of his own, accompanied by another lad playing a small dustbin and a melodeon (not at the same time).
Tim the Gardener commemorated Yuri Gagarin's journey into space by singing Rocket Man and Back in the USSR. He also read from a biography of Augustus John, about how he cracked his head open on a rock while diving into the sea, and became a much better artist thereafter (though it's not a method of improvement I'd recommend).
There was poetry from Brian, the Poet Laureate of Hay, and another young man - and I did The Writer of Children's Books by Joyce Grenfell.
And Chris the Bookbinder gave us the latest installment of Olwen Ellis.

No comments: