Monday 25 April 2011

RIP Geoff Evans

On Saturday afternoon, I decided to enjoy the sunshine by strolling up to Kilvert's to have a half. There were several interesting looking beers on the pumps, and I went for Rip Tide, a stout from the wonderful Hardknott brewery.
Outside, I joined Tim the Gardener and Mike at a table. They were discussing some sad news. Geoff Evans, who ran the Art Gallery at Salem Chapel, was found dead in his flat on Thursday when friends went round to see him. He had a drink problem, as well as other health problems, and he'd been pickled in whisky, sadly.
When I last saw him, he was about to visit his ninety odd year old mother for Mother's Day, and Mike had seen him walking around the town only a day or so before his body was found, so it was very sudden and unexpected.
I would imagine that this puts the future of the Art Gallery in doubt - Geoff put his heart and soul into that place, and though there's a committee, I don't think anyone could really take his place.
While we were talking, the sky darkened (so much for enjoying the sunshine) and thunder began to rumble in the distance - and then the rain came, hammering down, and the lightning flashed, and there were hail stones. It was alright for a bit under the canopy, but gradually the dry bits got smaller, and eventually we had to make a run for it into the pub - me with Islay under one arm! So, thanks to Tim and Mike for providing more Rip Tide when I was forced to take shelter!
When I examined Islay's trolley, when the rain had passed and I ventured out to take her home, I found that all four of the cushions were soaked through, even though I'd parked the trolley under a corner of the canopy!

3 comments:

Philip John Jones said...

Dear Lesley,

I'm an old friend of Geoff and would like to thank you for your kind words.

Also, I have been asked by his son to try and spread the word on Geoff's funereal and memorial gathering. Would you be so kind as to let people know the following -

Friday 13th May

Funeral:

2pm
Porthcawl Cemetery
Pyle Road,
Nottage
CF36 5TF

Memorial:

5-7pm
Salem Chapel
Bell Bank
Hay-on-Wye
HR3 5AQ

Again, thank you for the thoughtful blog, and I hope to meet you in Hay in just under 2 weeks time.

Philip Jones

Eigon said...

Thanks Philip - I'll pass the word around.
I liked Geoff - he told some fascinating stories about his earlier life!

Philip John Jones said...

Thanks!
p